Foot Comfort Center since 1919

Shop_Small

MEDICAL INFORMATION & FORMS

What is a pedorthist?

Essentially, a pedorthist is comparable to a pharmacist. When you get a prescription regarding foot issues, they are the ones who fill it.

Key Pedorthist Services

  • Foot Orthotics
  • AFOs
  • Diabetic Footwear
  • Custom Shoes
  • Shoe Modifications

What to expect when making an appointment

  • Before
  • During
  • After
  • The first step is almost always getting a prescription. While we can take appointments without one, we are then limited in what we can do to help you. The next step is setting up the appointment; just give us a call or use our site to do so. Appointments can vary in time, depending on what needs to be done, but generally they are either a half an hour or an hour.

    Before you come in, make sure that you have everything that you need. Insurance information is almost always needed, from your primary insurance provider and if you have supplemental you can provide us with that as well. We can only accept Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Medicare as assigned. We can accept other providers, but we can only file non-assigned. If the appointment is for diabetic footwear, we will need the Waxbergs forms filled out by your doctor(s). You can find this form at the top of this page. If you are recovering or refurbishing orthotics, we will need your current orthotics or the casts from the last time you were casted.

    Please note, when you have an appointment set up, please try to be as prompt as possible the day of the appointment so we can maximize the time to help you.

  • The beginning of the appointment is evaluation and assessment (not a diagnosis). The pedorthist will talk to the patient to understand history of conditions and any complaints the patient has. If desired, we do have fitting rooms for total privacy.

    Next, we take measures to analyze the problems. This may include casting the patient, ink impessions of the feet, studying the gait, tactile inspection, or a number of other methods. Those analyses will determine what, if any, custom devices are needed. If anything unusual or unexpected is found during evaluation, the pedorthist will contact your doctor and work with them as a team.

    After making sure you are as comfortable as possible for the time being, we will set up a follow up appointment while we prepare the best solution (custom orthotics, braces, custom footwear, etc).

  • At the follow up appiontment the pedorthist will dispense the necessary items and adjust them as needed, based on observation and listening to the feeback from the patient. The pedorthist can make numerous adjustments on the spot to better suit you and make you as comfortable and stable as possible.

    We then request that you get back in touch with us two weeks after the second appointment to let us know how everything is working out. Generally things are fine, but if there are any issues we want to address them as quickly as possible for your happiness and comfort.

    If you are using insurance (i.e. Medicare or Blue Cross/Blue Shield), we will take care of all of the filing so you don't have to worry about that. Generally, Medicare and BC/BS can pay for 80% of the cost of something like diabetic footwear. The remaining 20% would be covered out of pocket, or by supplimental insurance (if possible).

Pedorthic Evaluation

Here is an example of a pedorthist beginning an evaluation of the feet. Most likely followed with watching the patient walk for gait analysis.